Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Great Barrier Reef





hello everyone, I am currently at the Great Barrier Reef. I have been here for 20 days now, I have been to 143 different islands so far out of 540. I am only going to 4 more islands. I have seen some really cool giant turtles, lots of different things including algae called zooxanthellae. which is a single celled organism. It uses photosynthisis to make its own food like sugar. But its waste is eaten by the coral it grows on. so I guess it helps the coral live.
Lots of people have been diving here and lots take samples of corals for themselves, but this has affected how much there is so they have made a rule that you cannot take coral.
I took a side trip to heron island research station and saw some UNI students island looking at some green turtles and found out that they were studying the efects of water pollution on the green turtles.
They have about 20 different reasearch activities on coral alone.
One of the UNI students was talking to me about how they made it a national park in 1975 and how that meant that there were alot more restrictions.


I have been fishing for fun but i hooked a 780 lb marlin, it took 2 and 1/2 hours to wind in.

No comments: